Saturday, August 17, 2013

We say farewell to the GAiN Team - Final Thoughts!

The GAiN mission team drove away from NVM this morning at 6:30. And they take with them many great memories. Yesterday I asked each of them to write on a 3x5 card their greatest impression from the week. You can read their responses below.



What they did

This team accomplished a great deal! They distributed water filter systems to 100 families in four communities, planted a corn field, worked on a farm irrigation system, purchased and had installed a new pump for the water well in the field, built shelves for the dorms, conducted a women's ministry event, produced craft kits for the Haitian ladies, cleaned the dorms, painted the inside of the NVM church, visited two communities and washed lots of dishes. It was a full week and we are so grateful for their hard work! But most important, they shared God's love and his good news of Jesus with so very many. They truly were the hands and feet of Jesus this week. And they also encouraged the pastors serving the churches we visited this week.

Cheryl and I want to thank each of them personally for following the Lord's leading to come to Haiti and for their willingness to work as a team. They were great!

What the team members had to say!

It is always interesting to hear what God has been teaching team members. I asked them to record their greatest impressions and here are their responses. Some are short and some are longer. And some even expressed themselves in poetry!

Haitian harvest – help wanted!


Hungry mouths and hearts
Helpless stares in despair
Hopelessness in children’s smiles
Fields are calling
Prepare the soil
But who will pump the living water?
Help me Holy Spirit to heed your call
  
Farming God’s way.

This trip can be described in the following words: heart wrenching, life changing and evidence of God’s never ending love.

I am in awe of how God can unite individuals from across the world to participate in his divine plan for sowing seeds of revival for the Haitian communities in such a short period of time.

Having Christ is having everything. The other stuff doesn’t matter.

I love the unity the Holy Spirit brings to a group of believers. Serving together is such a joy.

Beautiful country,
beautiful people,
huge need,
I can play a part.

God’s ways are not our ways.

A real glimpse into the heart of Jesus.

God has changed the focus of this trip for me by impressing the importance of not my plans and expectations but him telling me to “listen & wait” and he will bring along and show me what he wants.

My journey this week was driven by passion and permitted me to humble myself so that I could absorb the joy and love that God has to share with everyone.

Bare-bottomed sweetheart
Born in a place she didn’t choose
But she knows nothing else
Dusty, hot and happy to be hugged
I was brought into the world on the third base
She’s barely even left home
Lord, let me live in such a way that I am loving the least of these.

God has great love for all the people of the world.

In each of us is the power to help or hurt one another. In a world of hurt it has been a sincere blessing to serve as God’s hands and feet along side an amazing group of people.  Thank you!

It is easy to get caught up in the poverty and while quite real and worth a hand up, one should look past to the people who exude a joy and simple approach to daily life. This is something we could surely learn from.

God has given his children a spirit so great that it is capable of great things despite economic circumstances. i.e. tremendous love, laughter and perseverance to continue each day with a smile. God is great!

I was humbled with the visit we had a Chambrun seeing how little the kids had and yet were so full of love and joy. I thank God for leading me in this experience in Haiti and to serve with this great group of people. Praise God!



Serving on your behalf in Haiti,
Jim & Cheryl Warner

No comments:

Post a Comment